[ic] Menu editor problem with categories & subcategories

Duane Hinkley duane at dhwd.com
Sun Aug 28 11:07:34 EDT 2005

Smej Worth wrote:

>>Hi list,
>>I've searched the archives for a solution for this issue but found
>>nothing that helps with the latest versions of interchange.
>>
>>I'm using comb_category to have multiple subcategories of products.
>>
>>Say I have the following prod_group's and categories in my products
>>table:
>>

>>DVD
>>	sony
>>	panasonic
>>	samsung
>>
>>VCR
>>	sony
>>	panasonic
>>	sharp
>>	toshiba
>>
>>CD
>>	sony
>>	panasonic
>>	sharp
>>	toshiba
>>	phillips
>>

>>I then use the menu loader to create the menu. The resulting menu
>>looks like this:
>>

>>DVD
>>	sony
>>	panasonic
>>	samsung
>>
>>VCR
>>	sharp
>>	toshiba
>>
>>CD
>>	phillips
>>

>>'sony' & 'panasonic' get lost in the VCR categories.
>>Everything but 'phillips' gets lost from the CD category.
>>
>>It seems the menu loader assumes all categories and subcategories will
>>have unique names. If it comes across a subcategory name its seen
>>before it drops it.
>>
>>How do I get the menu loader to include ALL categories & sub
>>categories?
>>

>No one has a solution to this problem? This issue basically renders
>the combined category features of the menu builder useless.
>
>Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this!

The way I work around that problem on my clients' sites is to make minor
spelling changes in the category.  For example, add special invisable
characters like   or _.  Also you could rename the categories.  So
instead of just Sony, use Sony VCR or Sony CD.

Of course if you want a more permanent fix.  It shouldn't be too
difficult to write your own component to display the menu if you don't
mind getting into the code.

--

Sincerely,

Duane Hinkley