[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John Young john_young at sonic.net
Wed Dec 21 20:55:08 EST 2005

John1 wrote:

> I am surprised that not more Interchange sites have reported being
> affected by this on this mailing list.  So far only 3 of us have
> reported experiencing this problem which would suggest that it is
> something peculiar to our installations, and yet I am sure it isn't.  If
> anyone else is seeing the same problem with there Interchange site going
> down please post a brief reply to this thread - thanks.

Well, I'll offer up that I see those same worm-initiated requests
every day and my server hasn't suffered from it.  I'm using a modified
IC 5.1.x with mod_interchange (slightly old version).

If you can't reproduce the worm in a lab, then perhaps you can set up
another server, and using mod_rewrite or some such thing on your production
server redirect those requests to the secondary server.  Doesn't have to
be an additional physical box -- could just be additional instances of
Apache and Interchange (provided you have the memory).  That might protect
your production server as well as give you a place to work on figuring
the thing out (by turning things on and off, etc.).

-John Young