[ic] Adding a system wide module

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue Feb 1 09:27:36 EST 2005

Quoting Jeff Fearn (jefffearn at gmail.com):
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:12:18 -0500, Mike Heins <mike at perusion.com> wrote:
> > Instead of spending that time ensuring against all that, take the few
> > minutes to make a UserTag connector. Reusable, allows integration
> > directly into the page with ITL, and a much more known risk from a
> > security standpoint.
>
> Your security arguments against adding a module only hold if you do
> that by removing the security entirely and to a lesser extent if you
> add a single module outside of the Safe. If you just want to be able
> to bypass the Tag stuff and place a module into the Safe you should,
> theoretically, be able to do so without affecting security.

Perhaps you can develop the Safe stuff so that it makes it easier. 8-)

However, it doesn't seem to be all that easy -- Microsoft has trouble
with it, and Sun has dedicated hundreds of engineers for many years
to produce Java. Safe/Opcode is pretty limited, but it works.

> I'm sure the tagging system is powerful, however it seems at least as
> complex to use as perl so there seems little reason to have it. The
> abstraction from perl is just a destraction for me, I'm sure others
> would disagree strongly with that though :)

It is pretty easy, actually, if you open your mind. Nothing more than
providing a wrapper.

> I guess when you come late to the party you have to suck it up and enjoy it ;)

If you have a better way, I am all ears.

--
Mike Heins

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.