[ic] Threaded perl (re: debian bug #203579)

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sat Feb 26 16:21:28 EST 2005

Quoting Jamie Neil (jamie at versado.net):
> The general attitude at the moment seems to be "it's a Perl problem -
> nothing to do with IC" and the solution is always "install a non
> threaded Perl". To which I would answer "It may not be IC's fault, but
> it _is_ an IC problem, because most Perl distributions are now threaded"
> and "What's the point in having packaged versions of IC if all the
> dependancies have to be installed from source?".

What would you have us do? When it works, it works. We have nothing
in Interchange which needs to be done that we know of. If there is
something, please, please tell us what it is.

In fact, my latest tests indicate it works pretty well with Fedora Core
3 and their threaded perl. Does it work on other threaded Perls? Don't
know. But personally I wouldn't subject my online business to the
uncertainty. Tim Bunce still states that threads on DBI are experimental
and should not be used in production, and I have to go along with what
he says. When he says they are ready for prime time, I believe IC will
work just fine with it.

You can put this in your .bashrc for your interchange user:

	export MINIVEND_FORCE_THREADS=1

At that point, try it out. If it works for you, fine.

We cannot be responsible for the myriad broken Perls put out by
different Linux distributions. If there is something in Interchange
which can be identified and needs to be changed, by all means identify
it and we will change it. But there is nothing on the list right now.

--
Mike Heins

How far can you open your mind before your brains fall out?