[ic] Threaded perl (re: debian bug #203579)

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Sun Feb 27 02:22:35 EST 2005

OK - random-ish segfaults,  hard to track down.

What points to a problem in DBD::MySQL?

Any idea what is happening when it segfaults - a sql write? Read?

Did you see these on just pages or only when placing an order?

(A "don't know" is always a fair answer - if your doctor knows everything you
are in trouble. If instead he tells you he doesn't know once in a while you
probably have a good one.)

How long ago were these problems seen?

Has anyone seen them in the last 3 months?

Please, Any test script I can use?

For others following this thread:

I've confirmed that DBD::MySQL is supplied by the libdbi-perl package in Debian.

 From the DBD::mysql man page:
<snip>

MULTITHREADING
        The multithreading capabilities of DBD::mysql depend completely on the
underlying C libraries: The modules are working with handle data only, no global
variables are accessed or (to the best of my knowledge) thread unsafe functions
are called. Thus DBD::mysql is believed to be completely thread safe, if the C
libraries are thread safe and you don't share handles among threads.

The obvious question is: Are the C libraries thread safe? In the case of MySQL
the answer is "mostly" and, in theory, you should be able to get a "yes", if the
C library is compiled for being thread safe (By default it isn't.) by passing
the option -with-thread-safe-client to configure. See the section on How to make
a threadsafe client in the manual.
</snip>

If I remember correctly - more than a few of these thread bugs were fixed in the
last year -- If I understand the problem was first seen almost 2 years ago?

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

Happiness is a Swedish sunset; it is there for all,
but most of us look the other way and lose it.--Mark Twain