[ic] Intl Shipping. Tax by County.

Martin Abell (SpeedSpan) martin at speedspan.com
Thu Jan 6 17:21:43 EST 2005

I have two items I don't have time to work on and wonder if someone
wants to consult on these.

The first is setting up a report of taxes a vendor owes by county.
Ohio requires that taxes be collected and paid based on county.  The
collection piece is a seperate issue, and one possibility is to tax all
buyers at the highest rate (I think it's 8% in Cleveland).  The paying
piece is the more critical.  I could do it but don't have time.  The
transactions are in a mysql database and have the zip codes, and there
is a mysql table of the tax rates by zip code (correlates to county)
that I have put together.  It's simply a matter of writing a perl
script to spit out (quarterly) all the counties that are owed, and how
much.

The second is assistance in setting up international shipping rates
that are relatively accurate.  The customer thinks the current
estimation (a simple step function with numbers derived many months ago
from sources I no longer remember) is off too often.  I suppose UPS
worldwide tables could be used, or maybe there is a query process that
could be implemented.

Interchange 4.8 on Linux Apache.

Martin Abell
SpeedSpan