[ic] Removing session ID from the URL

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:56:25 EST 2005

> > To put AdSense Ads on one of your pages you copy some javascript that
> > Google gives you on to your page. This will send the url that is in
> > the address bar of your browser to Google to determine what ads to
> > show. Google will then match the URL (from your browser address bar)
> > with what it's spider had previously found. The URL passed to Google
> > has a sessionid in it. The URL that the spider found previously does
> > not. Because they do not match Google will not show real ads.
> >
> > I've not done it but my solution would be to modify the javascript you
> > put on your page to filter out sessionids before you pass it to
> > Google... this should fix the problem in my opinion.
> >

> Aha. Thanks for the elucidation -- it should be an easy fix
> to do that:
>
>         url = url.replace(/\?.*/, '');
>
> assuming that you don't have any CGI params in your AdSense URLs.

Sorry, I should have done a better job explaining.

I know nothing about javascript, but Google doesn't seem to pass the
URL in a variable.  It's as simple as this:

<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>

Even if it were passed in a variable, modifying the code would violate
Google's Terms of Service, and from what I've read they're very strict
about it.

As for the Robot* directives, it sounds like it's still a good idea to
use them, even with mv_no_session in place.  I'm still trying to come
up with data on what percentage of users reject session cookies these
days.

- Grant