[ic] Perl, debian packages, and the usual issues.

Cameron G ritontor at icenet.com.au
Wed Jan 19 01:59:02 EST 2005

> Cameron G wrote:
> > Ok, I'm currently plugging the deb packages of IC in to a
> new server
> > to fiddle with for a while, and I have a question: if we're
> supposed
> > to specify a separate perl for IC alone (it's built and compiled, I
> > just haven't worked out how to make IC use it yet), why
> don't we have
> > the option in the deb package to simply specify which perl to use?
> > Wouldn't that mean we could cleanly dist-upgrade and not
> have to worry
> > about rewriting whatever manual changes it is we're going
> to need to
> > make each and every time a new patch for the package comes
> out? This
> > seems to be the sensible idea to me, although it's coming from the
> > perspective of someone who has exactly 0 idea of how much
> work this sort of thing would actually require.
> >
> > Alternatively, shouldn't we have a single config option to
> change? As
> > best as I can tell, making IC work correctly is going to require me
> > (a) compiling from source using a different perl, meaning I
> have to do
> > that each and every time there's a new patch, or (b) make numerous
> > changes to theare /usr/lib/interchange/ files time and time
> again each
> > and every time there is a new patch. Doesn't this seem like
> a little
> > bit too much work? I have a number of IC servers around the
> place, and
> > in all honesty, I'd really appreciate the ability to update with a
> > single apt command. That sort of thing saves me a
> significant amount of time out of my already too busy life.
> >
> > are
> > How does the rest of the community feel about this stuff? Am I just
> > being lazy, or am I asking for stuff that's Far Too Complicated? I
> > guess any links in the direction of where I can find the
> instructions
> > on altering IC to make it work with a different perl wouldn't go
> > astray either ;)

> Hi Cameron
>
> I totally agree with you but found that Kevin from Cursor.biz
> turned us on to 'kitchensink'. I by no means claim to be a
> programmer but it allowed me to get ic going using debian &
> worked like a charm. Thanks Again Kevin! Search the IC
> mailing lists & also checkout linuxia.de who handles Debians
> IC distribution.
>
> Good Luck
> Scott Martin

Kitchensink is just for the perl modules themselves, that isn't really the
issue here, what I'm looking for is an officially sanctioned method via
which one can use the debian package and tell it to use a certain perl at
the same time (meaning, a non-threaded perl package, or one you've rolled
your self). At this moment in time, I'm not even sure how to *hack* IC to
use a different perl, so yeah...

Oh while we're on the subject, I'm coming up terribly short on docs for how
mod-interchange works. Searching for "modinterchange", "mod-interchange",
"mod interchange" and "mod_interchange" reveals nothing on icdevgroup...