[ic] Install DBD::mysql w/o root-help

Duane Hinkley duane at downhomewebdesign.com
Fri Jan 28 20:47:30 EST 2005

interchange at tvcables.co.uk wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I have tried to find the answer to installing DBD::mysql on a remote server
>without root but so far have failed. Most answers seem to imply that
>mysql-devel is required but I presume I cannot install this as a user.
>
>I have tried a cpan and manual install of the module but both fail. I also tried
>a cpan force install where some of the errors were user not allowed access with
>password=no. Is there a way to set a password when using a cpan install? I was
>using:-
>
>perl -MCPAN -e 'force install DBD::mysql'
>
>Is there any way around this or do I try and persuade the host to install
>mysql-devel on the server? Would that fix it??
>
>Thanks,
>Andy.

Andy,

It is possible, but I would suggest the easier path of having your ISP
install mysql-devel.  If you talk nice to them, they may even install
DBD::mysql for you.  It's a popular Perl module and I'm surprised they
don't have it.

What DBD::mysql probally wants is the header files for mysql.  To
install it, you'd have to download the source for mysql.  I think it
also needs a few libraries also.  If that's the case, you'd have to
compile the mysql client all in your user directory.  By the time you
meet all the requirements and get it working, you'd wished you'd asked
your ISP.

Sorry for the slightly negative spin, but I've tried that approach
before and it wasn't worth the effort.

--

Sincerely,

Duane Hinkley