[ic] Googlebot Getting 500 Errors ... but he's the only one

Bryan Gmyrek bryangmyrek at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 20:09:42 EDT 2005

--- Bryan Gmyrek <bryangmyrek at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Googlebot is now getting 304 codes (which I understand aren't really 'errors' but nonetheless
> don't make sense for a dynamic application).  This is better really than 500 codes because at
> least presumably Googlebot will just think the page hasn't changed recently instead of thinking
> the page is 'broken'.  But it is definitely still a problem because out of about 2200 page
> requests Googlebot got about 1300 304 codes.

I just wanted to thank Jonathon Sim again for providing the code that fixed this bug in
mod_interchange.   My site now has 110,000 pages showing in Google, higher than ever.  Thanks also
to Kevin for adding it to the new release 1.33

> I was looking in the sessions directory and noticed something strange.  There is a session for
> Googlebot, but I have the IP 'he' was coming from in the RobotIP list in interchange.cfg  My
> understanding was that there should be no sessions for robots.  Also there was a lock file in

Anyone have any clues on what's going on here?

> there:
>  $date
> Thu Jun 16 22:53:07 MST 2005
>  0.16    418  date /opt/catalogs/art/session/J/E
>  $ls -al
> total 16
> drwxrwx---   2 gmyrek users 4096 Jun 16 01:39 .
> drwxrwx---  59 gmyrek users 4096 Jun 16 08:53 ..
> -rw-rw----   1 gmyrek users 1772 Jun 15 19:37 JESEUyAF:66.249.64.37
> -rw-rw----   1 gmyrek users    0 Jun 15 19:37 JESEUyAF:66.249.64.37.lock
> -rw-rw----   1 gmyrek users 2224 Jun 16 01:39 JEW2TGnk:65.54.188.108
> -rw-rw----   1 gmyrek users    0 Jun 16 01:39 JEW2TGnk:65.54.188.108.lock
>  0.16    419  ls -al /opt/catalogs/art/session/J/E
>  $head JESEUyAF:66.249.64.37
> pst01234
> /liWIL3017.html
>

> Jmv_session_idHistorymaincarts??Btimespiderarg
> /Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)browser
>
> control_index
> 1mv_add_dot_html
> ?Alan ; Black ; Branches ; Bush ; Bushes ; Contemporary ; Cream ; Floral Plants ; Flower ;
> Flowers
> ; Magnolia ; Magnolia Brancheskey
> 20
>   frameheight
> ss
>
> myImageWidth
>
> What is the .lock file and any idea why there is a session file for Googlebot even though the IP
> is in the RobotIP list?

Best,
Bryan

Posters, Art Prints and Custom Framing
http://www.NEArtExpress.com

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
- Mark Twain