AW: [ic] Use one table for product descriptions in different languages

Stefan Hornburg racke at linuxia.de
Tue Jul 12 05:56:12 EDT 2005

Lars Tode wrote:

>Hi list.
>
>Thanks for all of your ideas :)
>
>2 Ethan :
>We used mysql 4.1 as data source. The main encoding is utf8 and the
>colate utf_bin. The problems you had talked about, are really ugly :(
>But utf8 and mysql 4.1 including german umlauts is a very interesting
>story, too ^^
>
>2 Kevin :
>The idea with the shadow tables is great, but I think the handling
>(always create a new table for each language) is a bit difficult.

You don't need one table for each language. You can also put all your
translations in one table, e.g.

products_i18n:

sku
description_de
description_fr
description_ru
title_de
title_fr
title_ru

and then:
Database products MAP description de_DE products_i18n description_de
Database products MAP description fr_FR products_i18n description_fr

Bye
        Racke