[ic] variables

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Jul 29 18:15:51 EDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, JT Justman wrote:

>> Okay this should be easy, but I don't know enough about Interchange or Perl.
>> I'm just trying to make a basic variable that I can put into some html code,
>> this is what I'm trying to do:
>>
>> [perl]
>> $site = "icdevgroup";
>> return $site;
>> [/perl]

>> I can't get this to work, anyone have any idea on how I should go about
>> this. Sorry for the basic question.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>
> Hi, Brian. Maybe I can help you get on the right track.
>
> Variables that you define within a [perl] tag only exist within that
> tag.

That's actually not true ... variables not otherwise scoped are
auto-created package variables visible throughout the page. This works
fine:

[calcn]
     $site = "icdevgroup";
     return;
[/calcn]

I'm not recommending this technique for this scenario, but it does work
and occasionally has its uses.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen