[ic] Payment module problems

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Fri Jun 17 05:21:40 EDT 2005

Hi All,

We've recently moved a fairly busy catalog to a new dedicated server,
and we've started to see payment module errors (resulting in duplicate
charges) several times a day.

Previous server was running IC 4.9.7 (with lots of patches) on Redhat
7.2 - perl 5.6.1, mod_perl 1.26, apache 1.3.27 and a 2.4 uniprocessor
kernel.

New server is running IC 5.2 on Debian 3.1 (Sarge) - (local) perl 5.8.7,
apache 2.0.54 (no mod_perl) and a 2.6 SMP kernel on a single Xeon
processor (Hyperthreaded).

Each time the error occurs, the debug logging that's been set up shows a
"500 read error" from LWP, so IC thinks the payment has failed when in
fact it has gone through sucessfully.

I was recommended to set the "PERL_SIGNALS" environment variable to
unsafe, which is backed up by several other posts that I've read, but
although this seems to have reduced the incidence of the problem, we're
still getting one or two failures a day.

So I've just set the server to run in RPC mode (previously low traffic
mode) to see if this fixes it, but I'm wondering if anyone might have an
explaination and maybe a better solution?

Thanks,

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254