[ic] bulletin board

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Mon Mar 14 16:40:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:08:11 +0100
"Eric Bont" <eric_bont at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our customer with an IC catalog wants to have a bulletin board for his
> distributors which they can use after loging in. Is this easy to create with
> IC or is there maybe anyone who has a patch available? Or is it better to
> use an out of the box open source bulletin board script?

Hi Eric,

There's a forum capability in Interchange, and there's a draft
documentation available at:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/interchange-doc-5.2.0/ic_howto_forum.html

Maybe that functionality would suit your needs.

Of free software bulletins, there are YaBB in Perl, and phpBB which is
YaBB clone in php. Both are written by 15-yr old kids, the code is crap
and althogether they're not worth a second thought.

Commercially, there's vBulletin available which seems to be used by
many sites (www.di.fm comes to mind first).

There's also one excellent free software forum, mwforum.org .
Code is decent, even works under mod_perl and the overall impression
is great.

Enjoy,
-doc