[ic] The [component] tag

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Thu Mar 17 13:14:00 EST 2005

Zambra wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've installed Interchange 5.2.0, and I'm trying to customize it (just on
>the template side, I don't need additional or modified features). I'm
>dissecting the template files for the Foundation store, but don't understand
>what:
>
>[component group=vertical]
>
>does mean.
>
>Although "component" doesn't seem to be explicitly documented in the docs, I
>guess this tag calls the component file. But, what does the
>"group"-parameter mean? Also I can't find any component called "vertical".
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!

The [component] tag is closely related to the [control-set] and
[control] tags.  It is a bit confusing, in my opinion.  I don't know if
it's documented anywhere or not, so I figured out how to use it by
reading the core code.

Basically, [control-set] lets you set up a group of arbitrary variable
name/value pairs, which stick together as a single unit.  In other words:
[control-set
    [group]vertical[/group]
    [option]some_option[/option]
[/control-set]

The above defines a particular set of control values; the set consists
of an argument 'group' whose value is 'vertical', and an argument
'option' whose value is 'some_option'.

Subsequent calls to [control-set] sets up other sets of control values.
This builds a stack of control values, in the order in which they're
defined.

[control], on the other hand, is a way of fetching values out of that
stack.  Components in the catalog will make use of [control] to get
these values.  The syntax is:
[control <argument> <default>]

After defining the above [control-set], calling:
[control group]

would return 'vertical'.

While [control option] would return 'some_option', and [control pluto]
wouldn't return anything (since 'pluto' wasn't defined in the
[control-set]).  However, [control pluto hades] would return 'hades',
because you providing the [control] tag with a default value of 'hades'
to use in the event that 'pluto' is empty.

This is just a rough explanation.  Basically, you define the different
value sets using [control-set]...[/control-set] first.  Then, you reset
the current control value set to the top of the stack with a [control
reset=1].  Then, you can [control <argument_name>] to retrieve values
from that set.  You call [control] with no parameters at all to advance
to the next set of control values in the stack.

So, with all of that explained somewhat, [component] basically functions
as a wrapper for doing this stuff (from what I can see; I've never
really used it).
[component group=vertical] is effectively the same as:
[control-set]
    [group]vertical[/group]
[/control-set],
followed by an include of the component definition for the component
named in the current control space's "component" value.  If that
component definition has '[control group]' within it, it will be
replaced with 'vertical'.

I hope this helps.  It's a lengthy answer but the system isn't
particularly easy to explain.

- Ethan

--
Ethan Rowe