[ic] Catalogs only work with --debug=1

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Fri Mar 18 03:30:28 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:31:17 -0600
"David xxxxxxx" <dxxxxxxx at cyber3dnet.com> wrote:

> I think I've reinstalled the related perl modules, but I still receive the
> same errors.  I'm not that familiar with perl, however.  I'm about to lose
> this customer and I'm not sure what to do.  I've used Interchange since it
> was Minivend and I've never had any problems like this.  Any other ideas?

Hi David,

Since none of us is experiencing this problem, chances are that
the mistake (of whatever kind) is actually in your setup somewhere,
even if you weren't successful in locating it.

If you're about to lose your customer, why not taking a spare machine,
and installing the same OS/Perl/Perl modules/Interchange versions to
see if it works then?

If it works, you can run Interchange on both machines using something
like this:

strace -s 2048 -e trace=open -o /tmp/openfiles /usr/sbin/interchange

That would give you a list of files IC tries to open in /tmp/openfiles.
Then, you could compare the output of both systems. You would either
notice that different files are getting used, or if the lists are
equal, you could run MD5 sums on used files to spot differences in
their content (then diff would do final step of the job).

Alternatively, you could even run strace on existing machine,
once with, and once without --debug=1, and try to compare the output.

Hope the ideas help,
-doc