[ic] email-raw usertag broken for Net::SMTP FIX

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sun May 1 22:21:31 EDT 2005

Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):

> On 05/01/05 07:30, Mike Heins wrote:
> >Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):

> >>I never bothered to look fully into the details of how send_mail works
> >>with Net::SMTP.  That said...
> >>
> >>When I patched email-raw I looked at send_mail to see how to use it and
> >>it checks the first arg to see if it's a ref and if it is it assumes
> >>that the first arg is an array ref of all the headers and the second arg
> >>the email body.  If the first arg is not a ref then it is assumed to be
> >>the To: recipient for the email.  so by joining them as yuou suggest
> >>would just make send_mail assume that all those headers are the
> >>recipient and won't work.
> >

> >I did mean in send_mail().
> >

> >>If you want to hack up send_mail to work
> >>differently then be my guest, but i would want to caution against doing
> >>so in a way that might break existing functionality.
> >

> >That is always the worry. 8-) But I think we can safely do this:
> >
> >       for(my $i = $#$head; $i > 0; $i--) {
> >           if($head->[$i] =~ /^\s/) {
> >               my $new = splice @$head, $i, 1;
> >               $head->[$i - 1] .= "\n$new";
> >           }
> >       }
>
> That should work, but it doesn't make sense to me to do it that way.
> Let me explain...
>
> $head is supposed to be an array ref of individual headers.

It is? 8-) I am not sure that is true. I believe I wrote the code,
and I don't know that I defined that to be what it was. In fact, I deplore
the way it is and consider it some of the worst code I have ever produced
that has lived a long time (I guess it is tied with order profiles and
the log_transaction setup). Even just now found a bug where the valid
"Reply-To" header would not be recognized.

> It would
> seem to me that passing parts of headers in individual elements would be
> a broken usage of the array.  It doesn't make sense to fix this in
> send_mail as send_mail should not be respoonsible for fixing the broken
> array that is passed to it from other functions.  send_mail should be
> able to expect that the array passed to it is good.  So it makes more
> sense to me to fix it in the email-raw usertag (and other usertags and
> functions that do something similar) so they don't pass a broken array
> to send_mail.

Hmm. I guess I just disagree. Again, we get into the possibility of
a number of different versions of header-canonicalization code.

I try to be of the "be strict in what you send, but tolerant in what
you accept" school, and it seems to me that send_mail should be pretty
tolerant if it is to be the main facility for sending mail -- particularly
if we do what I think should be done and add a "raw" option to that and
make the email tag just a wrapper around send_mail.

--
Mike Heins

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown