[ic] email-raw usertag broken for Net::SMTP FIX

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sun May 1 23:45:24 EDT 2005

Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):
> We may have to agree to disagree here, but I think there may be a better
> approach.  Why not have send_mail take on the task of splitting the
> entire header block instead of making the calling function or tag do it?
>  This could save us a lot of code duplication and makes this entire
> argument moot.

I would like to remove at least *some* code-duplication, and the
big candidates are the email and email-raw tags. The [mail] tag
never took off, and I don't think that anyone (including me) has
ever used it's form-mailing functions.

[email] and [email-raw] *are* in wide use, and those tags should
be modified and brought into the core (i.e. not UserTag).

Unfortunately there are requirements.

    1. Must support the completely brain-dead [tag mime]
       stuff.

    2. Must be function-compatible with the current send_mail
       function, used all over the place in custom code.

    3. Should support MIME::Lite or MIME-Tools for attachments (I have
       put the patched [email] tag in eg/survey_wizard/email.tag and
       if no one else steps in for the job will eventually put it in
       the core.)

    4. Should bring the [mail], [email], and [email-raw] tags
       together in one compact code base.

My reluctance over the years has been #1, but probably it would
be reasonable if I could ever stomach looking at it in detail. 8-)

--
Mike Heins

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.