[ic] Installation of /interchange/debian/5.2.0: Interchange server unavailable

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Mon May 2 15:36:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005 09:54:55 +0200
"Marco Mescoli" <m.mescoli at omnibit.nu> wrote:

> I must repeat my request, no solution find.
>
>  Interchange 5.2.0.1 .deb installation on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
> 1) interchange_5.2.0-1_i386.deb
> 2) interchange-ui_5.2.0-1_all.deb
> 3) interchange-cat-foundation_5.2.0-1_all.deb
> 4) Debian dselect perl installation 5.6.1
>
> Care installation with Debian dpkg but the response is:
>
> We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...

Marco,

1) ps aux | grep interch

   If you see Interchange processes, the server is running and OK.
   When you call '/etc/init.d/interchange restart', it should
   also report it is running in Vlink/Unix mode.

   If you don't see any output from grep, then your IC server is
   not started. Run "/etc/init.d/interchange start" while
   having (as root) "tail -f /var/log/interchange/*log" in a
   separate terminal.

2) cd /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ic/; strings foundation | grep sock

   The output should look like:
socket
/var/run/interchange/interchange.sock
Could not open socket

   Of those three lines, one is the socket name (the middle one).
   It should be the same as in my example, and the socket file should
   really be found there when IC is running.

   If you see any other socket location in the grep output, the
   simplest solution is to symlink the real socket (shown in my
   example) to the location where your script is looking for it.

3) If 1) and 2) are OK, see if the CGI link program can write to
   the Interchange socket.

   For a quick test, chmod the socket file to 0666 and try
   visiting the catalog. If it works then, you have permission
   problems - you'll have to either see why the default setup
   fails for you, or have socket ownership adjusted to a different
   user/group, or use the SocketPerms Interchange directive
   to set socket mode to 0660 or 0666.

Tell us where do you get with the above instructions.

Enjoy,
-doc