[ic] Starting demo store on my site

JT Justman jt at airdelights.com
Thu May 12 14:24:18 EDT 2005

info wrote:
> Hello interchange-users,
>
> I have the code and doc packages. I even uploaded "Foundation" to my
> site. Nowhere do I see simple instructions for viewing the demo store
> on my site.
>
> It seems the documentation is a reference manual lacking a
> quick-start-guide.
>
> Going to http://domain.com/foundation/html/ opens a page with links
> "Customer Entrance" and "Admin Interface", which tell me store is not
> installed. No surprise, but how do newbies install it, let alone
> customize?
>
> I want to use the MySQL version.
>
> Regards,
>  thimk   info at thimk.net

Hi, thimk.

If I read your post correctly it sounds like you simply uploaded the
foundation directory to your site, and this is not the correct way to
install Interchange. There are two major parts to an Interchange
installation: 1) install the Interchange daemon and 2) run makecat to
build the demo catalog.

The interchange daemon is a compiled program that runs on your server
and handles all the base functions for your store. The README file in
the src package describes the basics of how to install from source. You
will need root access on your server. You can also install from RPM, but
I've never done this, so I can't vouch for it. The FAQ covers a lot of
common issues with this part of the process, not to mention a ton of
other things.

Once you have it installed, you run makecat, which will create a catalog
according to your specifications, including what database to use.
makecat creates a special CGI program that links the interchange daemon
to the content you saw in the "foundation" directory.

Interchange is not for the faint of heart.

HTH,

JT