[ic] Odd behavioir when adding items to cart

JT Justman jt at airdelights.com
Thu Nov 10 13:24:42 EST 2005

DB wrote:
> I'm a bit confused at IC's behavior when one attempts to add items to
> the cart from a results page by typing in a quantity and then pressing
> the Enter key.
>
> This behavior can be seen on the icdevgroup live demo page:
>
> 1) Search for the term hammer
> 2) Type in 1 for the qty for item Modeling Hammer then press Enter
>
> Instead of adding the item I wanted to the cart, IC adds the Framing
> Hammer. Perhaps this is because the Framing Hammer is the first item on
> the list. This will eventually result in people placing orders for
> things they don't want.
>
> If you click the buy button instead of pressing Enter, all seems well.
> Can this odd behavior be changed, or at least have no action take place
> when Enter is pressed thus requiring the buy button to be clicked?

Well, I can see the issue you describe in Internet Explorer, but it
works as expected in Firefox. The browsers each handle multiple submit
buttons differently. The code for this results page relies on the
correct button value being submitted. AFAIK, the only way to prevent
this completely is to leave out the quantity boxes, leave out the
individual buy buttons, or make a single form for each item.

Also with this catalog's cart system, if you add an item, then add it
again with a quantity specified, the items don't stack; rather the new
quantity is substituted. So if you add two items then try to add two
more, you only end up with two. This behavior doesn't seem desirable.

I haven't messed with the new Standard catalog much. My current catalog
uses pages and components from IC 4.6 or so, and has been heavily
modified. This looks like a pretty major usability issue for people who
wish to use Standard 'out of the box'. For our company, the #1
requirement of the website is that it always does exactly what our
customers expect. If it doesn't do what they expect, we lose sales.

So, does anyone see a way to retain the existing functionality without
breaking the page in IE?

JT