[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 20:44:51 EST 2005

On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:51 PM, jeff at hisgirlfridays.com wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 12:32:25PM -0800, Ron Phipps wrote:
>
>>> to use a UNIX-domain socket file, rather than an Inet socket.  All
>>> of the websites I've worked with have used UNIX domain socket
>>> files.  It could be the case that the Inet needs some fine tuning.
>>> It would be interesting to see if the same problem occurs when
>>> socket files are in use.
>
> I've experienced the problem with both unix domain and TCP.

Yep, it seems this is the case - I connect via Unix sockets and seemingly
get the same problem as Ron who is connecting via Inet.

> I've actually had the problem for years.

Ditto

> The frequency with which it occurs is load-dependant on my system.

Ditto, usually only need to restart perhaps once every 2 weeks on a
moderately busy site, but over the last few weeks it's been unusual to go 1
day without the restart Apache.  Incidentally, every single time my site
stops responding MaxClients has been reached (or at least I have never
spotted it before MaxClients has been reached), although I appreciate that
this is probably a consequence of the underlying problem, not the cause.

Nevertheless, if there is some sort of problem that is causing Apache
processes to hang and therefore a cascade of Apache processes to be spawned,
wouldn't we expect these hung Apache processes to eventually die of their
own accord?  One thing I can confirm is that once the has stopped responding
and MaxClients has been reached, the Apache process count never falls back
down again.  I am certain of this e.g. sometimes the site may go down and I
don't find out until the following morning, 10 hours later, at which point
all 150 (my MaxClients setting) Apache processes are still alive (though I
am fairly certain they are not consuming any processor time).  Not sure if
this casts any additional light on the problem, but I thought I'd mention it
anyway...  Thanks.