[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

jeff at hisgirlfridays.com jeff at hisgirlfridays.com
Thu Nov 17 08:45:22 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:46:37AM -0000, John1 wrote:

> In effect, I think I have verified that Apache doesn't start responding
> again even if port 80 were to be blocked.  Once MaxClients has been hit
> Apache stops servicing requests as it won't spawn any more processes and
> for whatever reason non of the Apache processes ever die after this point,
> even if the server is left for many hours over night when I know the
> traffic to my site is very low indeed.  Ron & Jeff - do you also see this
> effect?

Yes, none of the servers die.  I can also add that the event is
predicated by mod_interchange and IC failing to communicate and holding
apache children open.  During this initial period, the web server will
serve non-IC content but any requests for IC pages "freeze up".  As
requests for IC pages stack up, MaxClients is eventually reached and
apache stops serving requests entirely.

One of the reasons I never mentioned the issue before is because I am
running the IC 4.8 series .  I am pretty sure a lot of the
process-forking code was improved between 4.8 and the current version
and those improvements could very well resolve the issue.

> I don't think that the issue is anything to do with my Virtual Server
> environment, but I thought I better throw it into the mix.

On my side, the issue has spanned multiple physical servers with
completely different hardware and multiple versions of linux and debian.

Jeff