[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 08:55:43 EST 2005

On Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:30 PM, list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Number of TCP and UDP connections for each IP, grouped by state
>      3 our_website's_IP  CLOSE_WAIT
>      3 our_website's_IP  FIN_WAIT2
>    10 hackers_IP           CLOSE_WAIT
>
> There were also another 6 connections where the foreign
> address was actually the same as local address i.e. both were the IP
> address
> of the website - I am not sure why localhost would have a connection open
> itself - I am intrigued, but I am sure it is not relevant to the server
> going down.

Ahh yes, I have just realised that the connections from localhost will be
Ron's "check if site is up" script which runs every minute as a cron job.

BTW, I have noticed that Apache 1.3.34 has recently been released to fix a
security flaw:

"If a request contains both Transfer-Encoding and Content-Length headers,
remove the Content-Length, mitigating some HTTP Request Splitting/Spoofing
attacks."

Could this be related to the website hanging?

"mitigating some HTTP Request Splitting/Spoofing attacks" - I am not sure
exactly what this means - is it a "must do/urgent" upgrade?  Thanks