[ic] Payment module failure

Boyer, Jim boyerj at wsu.edu
Mon Nov 28 13:21:41 EST 2005

I had a payment module written for us that uses XML to talk to our
credit card server.  It has recently been receiving the following error
on a random basis:

- [28/November/2005:09:15:00 -0800] pestrecert
/cgi-bin/pestrecert/process Safe:
 Real-time charge failed.
 Reason: payment routine 'wsu' returned error: 500 read failed:

>               die errmsg(
>                               "Real-time charge failed. Reason: %s\n",
>                               errmsg($Session->{cybercash_error}),
>                       );

The person trying to order via credit card receives the error message

Real-time charge failed.   Reason: payment routine 'wsu' returned error:
500 read failed:

A big problem is the order goes through on the bank side and charged to
the customer credit card, but Interchange does not receive an
acknowledgement.  The error doesn't happen consistently and is hard to
duplicate on the development side.

I have worked with the IT people controlling the credit card server and
they don't see any errors when I receive the errors.  The credit card
server usually responds within a couple of seconds to the request, so it
doesn't appear to be a timeout issue.

I have not been able to get a hold of the person who wrote the module so
I am asking for any kind of help I can get.  Does anybody have an idea
what is causing the problem?

Thanks,

Jim Boyer
Systems Programmer
College of Agriculture, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences
Washington State University
509.335.2838