[ic] IE 6.0.2 Errors On Empty Fields

Randy Just randyjust at justcomp.com
Fri Oct 28 10:31:11 EDT 2005

I am having a funky problem with IE 6.0.2 on the shipping.html to billing.html transition.

Unless *all fields* are filled out on the shipping.html page (company, address2, etc.), IE gives an error and asks if I want to go into debug mode.  I say yes and it stops at lines where the fields were left blank.  The fields being left blank are non-required fields.  If I populate them,
then IE doesn't complain.

I am using for the most part unmodified html pages from the Interchange demo system.

I am a javascript neophyte, so I am uncertain why Mozilla would be OK with things and IE would have a problem.  I suspect if I "stuffed" a value into a blank field, then IE would be OK, but I would rather correct the root problem.

This is what comes up on the debug screen with the error pointing to the blank lines (i.e. var b_company):

<SCRIPT>
var b_fname = 'Sally';
var b_lname = 'Smith';
var b_company = ;
var b_address1 = 'PO Box 5555';
var b_address2 = ;
var b_city = 'Anchorage';
var b_state = 'AK';
var b_zip = '95555';
var b_country = 'US';
var b_phone = '208-555-1212';
function do_address (form, clear) {
        if(clear) {

<SCRIPT>
[loop list="fname lname company address1 address2 city state zip country"
]var b_[loop-code] = [jsq interpolate=1][either][value b_[loop-code]][or][value [loop-code]][/either][/jsq];
[/loop]var b_phone = [jsq interpolate=1][either][value b_phone][or][value phone_day][/either][/jsq];
function do_address (form, clear) {
        if(clear) {
                [loop list="fname lname company address1 address2 city state zip country"]
                form.b_[loop-code].value = '';
                [/loop]
                form.b_phone = b_phone;
        }
        else {
                [loop list="fname lname company address1 address2 city state zip country"]
                form.b_[loop-code].value = b_[loop-code];
                [/loop]
                form.b_phone = b_phone;
        }
        return;