[ic] Change the way Interchange reads table fields?

Bryan Gmyrek bryangmyrek at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 13:51:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

Just want to throw an idea out there and see if anyone else thinks it's a good one.
I'd like to be able to add fields and in general edit my tables from say within the mysql command
line interface.  However, this then requires changing the file in dbconfig/mysql/tablename.mysql
and also messing with the products/tablename.txt file if I added a new field.
My idea is to have IC read the database information at startup with a command like

mysql> show fields from products;
+--------------------+---------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field              | Type          | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| sku                | varchar(15)   |      | PRI |         |       |
| category           | varchar(64)   |      | MUL |         |       |
..

Then it can read the Field, Type, Null, Key ... columns in and configure the datbase based on
that.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?  Can IC already do this and I just don't know ;)

Best,
Bryan