[ic] Negative Sales Tax with Discounts

Matt Kerner mkerner at showmeinteractive.com
Thu Sep 29 12:33:15 EDT 2005

I'm having difficulty with a store we're building currently with the
sales tax calculation. The site has products that are both taxable
and nontaxable. The site also applies discounts to the entire order
based on a customer's group affiliation. When a nontaxable product is
purchased with a discount the discount/tax code still subtracts the
discounted tax information. When no discount is applied the
nontaxable information works properly.

Example:

Facts (simplified):
Customer A gets a 20% discount on all items in the store.
Tax rate for customer A is 10%
Product Y costs $100 and is not taxable

Situation:
Customer A buys product Y for $100
An entire_order discount of $20 is applied

Customer A sees a total of $78 (an $80 subtotal and a -2 tax)
The negative tax matches the tax rate multiplied by the discount
amount (negative).

This same behavior happens when a customer purchases a mix of taxable
and nontaxable products from the store in that the sales tax is
decremented for the entire discount, not just the taxable products.

Any suggestions? Tips on where to look? Have other people encountered/
solved this problem?

Thanks,
Kerner