[ic] RobotLimit lockout exclusion for custom admins

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sat Apr 1 16:52:52 EST 2006

Quoting Paul Jordan (paul at gishnetwork.com):

> Hello List
>
> Using the latest and greatest IC, as always.
>
> I have some custom Admins that I would like to not be affected by
> RobotLimit. In Dispatch.pm I see this:
>
>    and ! $Vend::admin
>
> Which is one of the gates for before calling do_lockout(). From
> hole-patching changes, I take it that it is more difficult to set this:
>
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-cvs/2004-April/005808.html
>
> ;-)
>
> I wonder if there should be a more "loose" way to bypass RobotLimit to allow
> for certain pages, or directories to be used intensively, by some, or
> certain users.
> I wonder is simply setting and checking a scratch var might suffice.
>
>    and ! $Scratch-{RobotLimit_bypass}
>
> I was going to ask what the best way to set $Vend::admin, but in thinking,
> it might be useful to bypass Robotlimit, and still not have $Vend::admin
> status. This will be an issue for web applications, where frequent moving
> around is the norm.
>
> Any comments, ideas, or proposals?

The way we would like to do it is probably to make the do_lockout() sub
be a SpecialSub and thereby configurable. Then you could write your own
routine enable those things however you want.

--
Mike Heins

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all your problems tend to look
like nails.  -- Abraham Maslow