[ic] [OT] Perl, mod_perl and threading

Dan Bergan dan at berganconsulting.com
Tue Aug 1 14:33:51 EDT 2006

I am in the process of migrating to a new server, and the new one has a
threaded version of Perl installed.  The most recent list postings I
found say that this should now work for Interchange, but that there is a
performance hit.

I can install a non-threaded perl, but I'm wondering about mod_perl --
it is already installed on the server, so I assume I would have to
recompile/reinstall to use the non-threaded perl.  Is that the case?

I would prefer to leave things as "vanilla" as possible (for easy
security patching and for my Plesk control panel), but I need to balance
that against performance considerations.

I see my options as:
- Leave the system as-is (take the threaded performance hit)
- Install non-threaded perl and disable mod_perl for my domain (is there
a performance hit for not using mod_perl with Interchange?)
- bite the bullet and tackle both perl and mod_perl
- any other ideas I'm missing?  Would mod_interchange be of any help for
my situation?

Do any experts have advice on the best way to proceed?

Thanks -
Dan Bergan