[ic] debian install error port 8786 what does this mean?

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Aug 12 18:03:48 EDT 2006

Bill Beecham <natincom at nativeamericanwebdesign.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install IC from the tarball and during the process of
> running the config it makes all the files and apparently tests. During
> this it gives me the messages that the ic server was probably not
> running, port 8786 is being blocked by your isp or some other mechanism.
> This is a most perplexing error as I have been all through the messages
> here and cannot find a definitive answer. What exactly, besides the
> obvious, does this error mean? Does it mean that it really needs port
> 8786 open in order to install? 8786 is for message clients. I'm
> confused. I was able to get the debian packages to install and run but I
> have no way of  telling it to use mysql and letting it create the
> database structure. I need to be able to do this manually where it asks
> me the root user and pw for mysql etc.
>
> I've done this before without any problems whatsoever on a freeBSD
> machine, but I am now stuck with working with debian. Any help or
> insight would be appreciated!

You can safely ignore that unless you plan to use the tlink (Inet mode)
Apache->Interchange link mechanism.  Inet mode uses port 7786 by default
anyway.

Port 8786 is used for the tests because Interchange itself may be
blocking 7786 when you upgrade.

If you are using UNIX mode sockets for communication, as most people do,
then the above can simply be ignored.  You may want to find out what's
listening on the ports anyway, but that's up to you.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz