[ic] Re: ALERT: bad pipe signal received for /page.html

Josh Lavin josh at myprivacy.ca
Mon Dec 11 18:24:17 EST 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Ron Phipps wrote:
> Josh Lavin wrote:

>>> The segfaults are eliminated by commenting out the $r stuff in the
>>> die_page sub.  I still get the ALERTs though.  Does anyone have any
>>> advice on figuring out why I'm having the bad pipe problem?  Is
>>> there
>>> an easy way to add extra debugging info to the sub?
>>>
>>> Also, restarting IC with PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe increases the ALERTs
>>> 50 fold.
>> I've been seeing this too, on my Apache 2 and latest Link.pm. I
>> also had to use PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe and so I get quite a lot of
>> these.
>> The visible effect on the browser is that the page or image (which
>> Link.pm apparently still has some part in delivering) does not
>> load. I get them myself when browsing and testing my websites, and
>> I have never stopped loading a page or had any other problems on
>> non-IC sites I host.
>> I was told the problem stems from either the browser and a stop
>> button or some other network fault. I may go back to Apache 1.3 to
>> get around this.
>
> I saw this occur on two different installations about 4 months
> ago.  It was suggested that I abandon the use of Link.pm and go
> back to using the cgi method with URL rewrite rules as this was
> just as fast and proved stable over the years.

Is plain CGI really as fast as mod_perl or mod_interchange? That'd be
my only concern with switching back to CGI+rewrites.

Maybe it is ok -- see mod_interchange's README:

"The Interchange link protocol has been
implemented via an Apache module which
saves us the (small) overhead
of the execution of a CGI program."