[ic] change displayed URL of results page

Daniel Davenport DDavenport at newagedigital.com
Thu Dec 21 17:23:05 EST 2006

Of course it's possible -- anything is, if you want it badly enough.  =)
Two ways i can think of off the top of my head are ActionMaps and a
little mod_rewrite magic.

Rewrites are pretty simple, but can be effective.  You could, for
example, just match (.*)/your_url(\.html)?$, and rewrite it to
$1/scan/se=category/se=AA/ml=20.  The only real problem is that
more-links on the results page still end up with long, ugly urls.  Only
way around that is to do your own more-links, afaik, and that could
complicate your rewrite rules a bit.

ActionMaps are a bit more involved.  The /scan/... urls are actually
done via an action map (internal to IC?), so of course it's possible to
do your own action that works like /scan.  But since you'd be pretty
much taking over the job that /scan does, you'll likely need to set a
lot of the cgi and search variables yourself (unless someone else knows
of an easier way...).

Another option, if you only care about the search being available via
your url, might be to make a page that just bounces to the /scan... url.
But that's ugly -- among other things, it replaces your nice short url
in the address bar with the /scan... one.

--
Daniel Davenport
New Age Digital