[ic] Mail forms under attack!!

Daniel Davenport DDavenport at newagedigital.com
Thu Jan 19 22:48:15 EST 2006

Also keep in mind, any form mailer that has the "To" address in a CGI
field is by its very nature prone to abuse.  The destination address
should _never_ be directly settable by the user; if you must make the
address selectable, at least check it against a short list of allowed
recipients.

For reference....just because the field is hidden in a form, that
doesn't mean that it can't be set at will by a hacker or by a bot
designed to abuse email-us pages.  If you already know who the email
will go to, it's better to set the address as a scratch variable -- or
even hard-code it into the page -- than to allow Joe User the chance to
hijack your contact form.

I haven't seen the form in question, so this is all just a cautionary
note.  I've just seen way too many form mailers and contact pages that
had similar weaknesses.

--
Daniel Davenport
New Age Digital