[ic] [timed-build] not working for logged in users

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Jul 11 19:53:39 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Peter wrote:

>>> [auto] implies login=1, but will still abort if no session ID cookie has
>>> been sent. Use force=1 to ignore cookie status.
>>
>> Use force=1. Grant was looking for an explanation of why that's
>> necessary. My answer was and remains, read the code and use force=1 and
>> don't put user-specific data in timed builds.
>
> The problem with using force=1 is people without cookies will loose thier
> session if they follow any internal links, login=1 seems to be intended to
> remedy this by allowing logged in users to use the cache, but only if they
> send a session cookie.

Yes. If you consider timed builds a necessity, including for logged-in
users (as I do for many sites) then you need to generate links on the fly
so that they can contain session IDs if necessary. We do this on a few
sites by having a wrapper around timed-build:

[unescape-tags]
[timed-build ...]
Body ... ~area some/path]...</a>
[/timed-build]
[/unescape-tags]

so that ~area is converted to [area and the reparsed.

It would be better to build something like this into [timed-build]
directly but I haven't found a way I like well enough to put into the
core.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen