[ic] search engine indexing scan/ MM=0f73bb47ac44f4e422.....

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Jun 17 08:03:21 EDT 2006

Jamie Neil <jamie at versado.net> wrote:
> Kevin Walsh wrote:
> >     1. Recognise spiders and don't paginate the list for them.  Set
> >        ml=999999, or whatever seems large enough.
> >
> This is the way we've been doing it and it seems to work very well.
>
> However it's worth noting that if your pages end up too large (I'm not
> sure what the limit is, but I think it's around 200Kb) then Googlebot
> may ignore everything after a certain point. We just make sure that our
> categories aren't too large and the HTML on the search results pages is
> as compact as possible.

Another way would be to recognise spiders and reduce the size of the
HTML output.  Only showing a list of links to products (dropping all
the nice user-orientated stuff like prices and images) is one way to
do that.

Yet another way would be to have smaller categories, perhaps using
sub-categories, thereby keeping the individual listing length to a
minimum.

You could completely side-step the whole issue and produce some pages
that only list links to products.  If you manually submit those pages
to the search engines with "noindex,follow,noarchive" in <meta robots>
then the listing pages won't be indexed, but the target pages will.

There's always more than one way to do it.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz