[ic] Perl and Threading

Steve Graham icdev at mrlock.com
Fri Jun 23 11:42:17 EDT 2006

At 10:14 AM 6/23/2006, you wrote:
>"Henry Hartley" <henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:
> > Here's a suggestion to the Gentoo users out there.  Write up and
> > place in the Interchange documentation the necessary steps for
> > taking a Gentoo installation and turning it into a Interchange ready
> > server.  Here's an outline for you (at no charge):

I kept a log last time I did an install (can't be sure I left
anything out, but it might be a start)

Recent IC 5.4.0 install on Gentoo

Get your Gentoo system built with latest LiveCD
then emerge --sync
and emerge -upDv world before starting...
all the basic server functions should be tested. I ran this machine
for about 2 weeks before starting IC install
=========

** if using mysql for your database server
emerge -upDv mysql

** emerge the following prior to the perl -MCPAN command (change to
-uDv after pretend)

emerge -upDv unzip
emerge -upDv lynx
emerge -upDv ncftp
emerge -upDv ftp

** I don't use X11 on my system - attempt to block its install
** Modify /etc/make.conf & add USE="-X"

emerge -upDv gnupg

** The following command should work now:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink'
** you get a bunch of prompts, just make your best decision - I
accepted the defaults
** and all went well.

** use your own groups and username...
groupadd icgroup
useradd -g icgroup interch

*** download interchange-5.4.0.tar.gz
gzip -dc interchange-5.4.0.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd interchange-5.4.0
./configure
*** follow instructions....

Keeping Gentoo updated is easy, once you are familiar with the
process - DO NOT automatically accept the newest configurationfile,
you need to interactively merge most of them to see what is being
changed - learned the hard way. :)

-Steve