[ic] Items disappear

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Mar 7 19:33:59 EST 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, inteliware at iol.pt wrote:

> I use IC since 2001 and have dozens of web sites using this technology,
> but I'm starting to have some doubts about IC reliability regarding big
> databases.
>
> I have some tables (.txt and .gdbm) which I customized for a web site
> content management solution. Some of these tables have now more or less
> 1000 records and sometimes when I add a new record using IC Admin other
> records disappear (random - disappear from the .gdbm and sometimes from
> the .txt).
>
> I posted a question to this mailling list about the HOT directive in the
> declaration of databases in the dbconf folder and Mike Heins responded:
> "HOT just means that the database will be automatically opened every
> time. IC will not instead build the normal dummy object that is only
> fully instantiated when an attempt is made to access the tables."
>
> Is my problem related to the HOT directive or simply the IC .txt/.gdbm
> sync can not handle big databases ? Does someone experienced similar
> problemas ?
>
> Know, I'm upgrading my solution to use MySQL but I fear that, since IC
> Admin syncs Mysql tables with .txt, my problem persists.

Interchange developers have always been advised to use a real SQL database
for any large tables -- and for quite a while now, for pretty much
everything in general. I don't know whether your records disappearing has
anything to do with your GDBM tables being large, but there are many
Interchange setups with SQL tables having hundreds of thousands of rows,
which are fine.

If you use MySQL, the only time your .txt file will be involved is if you
do an export or import. I recommend you set "NoImportExternal Yes" in
catalog.cfg and get rid of the .txt files altogether. Let your database be
your database, and let Interchange be an application server, where each is
best suited. If you want to import or export, why not use native
facilities of your database?

Jon

--
Jon Jensen