[ic] Considering interchange

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue Mar 14 00:00:22 EST 2006

Quoting Mick Szucs (mick at scrapbookgraphics.com):
> Hello, all.
>
> The warning that this list is "high traffic" seems a little unfounded now.

I remember the warning -- we used to get 15,000 messages a year -- but
I forget where it is.

> I'm running a reasonably successful osCommerce site right now and I'm
> looking to move to something that, umm... sucks less.  Interchange seems
> to be flexible and well written, plus I *heart* Perl.

Welcome. I believe osCommerce and the success of PHP is probably one
of the reasons Interchange's mail list is not so busy any more. I have
never really looked at PHP carts, because I think security is generally
very poor on PHP. I know it is improving, but it still is a crack
waiting to happen.

I can try and answer a couple of your questions.

> I'm wondering about a couple of features that I can't find in the demo
> store or documentation:
>
> 1) We sell images which are downloaded by our customers.  Is there an
> Interchange module that allow for the "shipment" of downloads from
> customer orders?

Depends what you mean by shipment. There is a downloadable product
thing, and some snippets of code (and a usertag) which allow gated
download.

> 2) We're also considering selling other people's products.  Is there any
> facility that would allow other people to upload their own product
> without having complete administrative control of the site?

No, but it would be pretty easy to build one -- I have done it
several times. You can use the "affiliate" login as the gating
security.

--
Mike Heins

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman