[ic] "High traffic list" - ramblings on Interchange

Gert van der Spoel ic at 3edge.com
Tue Mar 14 13:15:48 EST 2006

Brian Ellis writes:

> One thing that would help me is if the IRC channel did not auto kick.
> I did notice now the FreeNode IRC channel which does not kick which is
> nice, but for the main IRC channel if I didn't have a question to
> ask I would like to be able to be available to answer other peoples
> questions from time to time. I used to be on there quite often, but
> having to re-connect is quite frustrating. And for the user who has
> a question, you can log onto the IRC channel and nobody with any
> experience is available to answer a question because to do so they
> would have to leave their IRC client idle.

I'm lately on irc.icdevgroup.org  approximately 8-10 hours per day. If there
is someone else online and you say just a line your idle time is increased
to 4 hours.

If you don't have a question to ask, but are there to possibly help someone
with an IC related issue, I can understand that it is perhaps annoying that
you were online by yourself and while getting a coffee one other person logs
on and you're kicked out after half an hour.

However if you are looking for a question and join irc.icdevgroup.org and
there is nobody in then you will not get your hopes up. On freenode it's
possible to meet 6 people logged on, but they are all idle for a couple of
hours and that would be also annoying when you got your hopes up to a
question :)

So I'd be glad to see you again on irc, I'll help you get at least a 4 hour
kickout period ;)

CU,

Gert