Fwd: Re: [ic] "High traffic list" - ramblings on Interchange

William O. Yates hackware at tru2life.net
Tue Mar 21 21:14:06 EST 2006

Davor Ocelic wrote ..

> --bound1142338720
>
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:03:30 +0100
> Andreas Grau <agrau at esquat.com> wrote:
>

> > Remark: The introduction is copied over from another posting. I didn't
> > want to mix subjects, which is why I am starting a new thread.
>
> > And many of the PHP carts are, well, good looking. Hardly any IC shop
> > in the hall of fame is nice and modern. And inviting.
>
> Quite the opposite. I think a number of Hall of Fame sites are
> nice and modern and inviting. Maybe you didn't check the Hall
> of Fame after the recent cleanup.
>
> > Next, IC is largely unsupported. If you look in the mailing list
> > archives, there are tons of serious questions which remain without
> > answer. The other IRC channel is mostly dead.
> >
> > Then, IC is not really documented. Since when I follow IC, there has
> > been zero visible progress on the docs.
>
> Must be that you are either following IC since only last month, or didn't
> actually put any effort into seeing if anything has changed.
>
> For everyone interested in the documentation, you can subscribe
> to our 'docs' mailing list where you can see documentation CVS commits
> and discuss documentation issues:

> The list has not been publicly advertised before, but now it is ;-)
>
> Also, as Stefan said, we are underpowered. The new documentation effort
> is basically a one-man effort (the poor guy behind it being myself ;-).
>
> I invite everyone who wants to help with the documentation, or wants to
> sponsor its development, to contact me.
>
> > Take an unsupportive mailing list plus zero docs, and you come to think
> > that IC is actually a closed-shop solution.
>
> "Zero docs"? Are you out of your mind?
>
> "Unsupportive mailing list"? Are you *completely* out of your mind?
>
> "Closed-shop solution"? Due to the technologies it relies on and the power
> it has, it has a significant entry barrier. I don't see it as something
> we should apologize for.
>
> > To a newbie, IC is very complex. I can tell you from my own experience.
> > And if one doesn't find a helping hand, he is likely to turn away again.
> >
> > What will be the consequences ?
> > - Further drain of installations
> > - Further drain of users
> > - Increasingly bad reputation (complex, ugly, unsupported, few users)
> >
> > In the end, there may be a team of dinosaurs who satisfies himself with
> > existing clients. Probably rationalizing that IC is technically better
> > than anything else.
>
> Other developers may have other views, of course, but I don't see why should
> we be trying hard to sell Interchange, when it is not a commodity item.
> We're
> not into toilet paper or shower gel business.
>
> > Anybody remember Univac or Data General ?
>
> I understand you might have used this as an example, but the situation
> is nowhere near being comparable to Interchange.
>
> > I would appreciate it. And I hope we'll get somewhere with my
> > provocation. Unless I am the only one who feels like this.
>
> It's ok. A chance to sort out the mindset...

> [...]

I will work on documentation, as i document all my projects anyway...

That is, after i get interchange working...

I have a working store using CommerceSQL, but could never get FedEx working,

and then i found Interchange.

Installation went ok, got the catalog built, like the package...

But neither credit card transactions, or FedEx work (so far)...

With just a bit of help, i think interchange should work...

btw: FreeBSD-5.3, Apache-1.33, Interchange-5.4, MySQL-5.0...

hackware...