[ic] Re: [interchange-cvs] interchange - docelic modified 5 files

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Thu Mar 30 09:43:55 EST 2006

Andreas Grau wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:38:33 +0200
> Stefan Hornburg <racke at linuxia.de> wrote:
>

>>>This is good news. When will this be ?
>>
>>Obviously when it is ready.
>

> My question was not loaded in any way. And now that the announcement
> has been made, I did think there's a timeframe behind.
>

>>>Other than that, and I don't want to be a pain in the neck (although I
>>>probably am), my questions remains open: _For which reason_ do you take
>>>the comments out. You could *copy* them, for example. Or you could even
>>>*add* to them. Are you going to delete *all* inline documentation ?
>>
>>Yes, he is going to do that. Any duplication is a bad thing in terms of
>>programming.
>

> What you call duplication, I call redundancy. And during the process
> of creating a new set of documentation, I would have valued redundancy quite
> high.

You can still look at released source code / documentation, so there is
enough redundancy out there.

>>>I am meaning not WHY (because there the answer is clear: it has been
>>>decided), I am asking "for what purpose".
>

> I understand that there is a decision that has been taken. Is there are
> short formula about the "for what purpose". As it is now obviously too
> late to reverse the decision, this may be a moment to explain what led
> to it.
>

>>>There once was a time, when generating documentation from inline
>>>comments was state of the art, because one found that programmers, who
>>>are known to notoriously avoid writing documentation, prefer to
>>>document as they code, instead of keeping two different files in
>>>sync.
>>
>>Better to actually do something in a consistent way then pretend to be "state of
>>art". I'm pretty sure that the Interchange developers who already spent a
>>substantial amount of time with Interchange documentation understand and
>>support Davor's documentation project.
>

> I haven't changed my opinion too much since last mail exchange here on
> the list: There are the few Interchange developers who don't need the
> documentation, and many others who need them to get going.

The many others have to wait unless they help by submitting documentation.

> I wanted to understand the [perl] tag. Result :
> DESCRIPTION
>
> BEHAVIOR
>
> This tag does not appear to be affected by, or affect, the rest of Interchange.
>

> I needed some background on [if] - Not even listed.
>

> It's simply that I don't understand the priorities of Davor's
> documentation project, as you call it.

The ICDEVGROUP documentation project, please.

>>The documentation effort definitely benefits from submissions and input,
>>so don't get me wrong.
>>

> No problem, Racke. And you point is well taken. Only that I don't have
> a very high esteem on how this is done, so count on me for other areas.

OK, I enrol you in the French translation section :-P

Bye
	Racke

Interchange Development Team