[ic] Gentoo ebuild

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Nov 3 20:56:57 EST 2006

On 11/03/2006 05:18 PM, Grant wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> > I'm not sure I agree with you here.  I think most Gentoo users would
>> > rather see each Perl module pulled in separately.  For example,
>> > if someone already has all the necessary Perl modules installed,
>> > there is no need to pull in BundleInterchange.  I do think that
>> > BundleInterchange deserves its own ebuild in Portage though.
>> >
>> Well, if dev-perl/BundleInterchange contained nothing but a list of
>> dependencies then it would act in the same way as the CPAN
>> Bundle::Interchange bundle. Each module ebuild would be installed
>> individually, according to the dependency tree.
>
> Ah, I didn't realize CPAN modules could work that way.  I don't know
> much about them at all.  Depending on InterchangeBundle instead of the
> individual modules still sounds like adding an unnecessary layer
> though.

Layers are good, especially in this instance.  It allows the easy
installation of the modules for someone who wants to install IC
themselves.  If you don't have that layer, then in order to accomplish
the same thing you'd still need to have an ebuild for the modules, plus
you'd have to maintain the exact same set of modules in the interchange
ebuild.

>> If a user already has all of the required modules then nothing would
>> happen.  If the user wants Interchange then the dependency tree would
>> drill through the bundle to find the modules.  If the user just wants
>> the bundle (so that IC can be installed manually) then that option would
>> be available too.
>
> I definitely agree that Interchange::Bundle needs an ebuild.  I should
> be able to put one of those together a lot more quickly.  It'll be a
> good warm up.

Well, there ya go, then.

Peter