[ic] Cheap Payment Gateway

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Sat Nov 4 02:58:40 EST 2006

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
> Kevin Walsh wrote:
>> Frank Reitzenstein <frank at goldissue.com> wrote:
>>> I have been collecting customers credit card details from my
>>> shopping cart the last 6 months.
>>>
>>> I have then gone to paypal and completed the order. This has been
>>> great as my sales have increased steadily. I am turning over more
>>> than USD120 a week and increasing.
[snip]
>> If you were in North America, you could probably use the PayPal "Pro"
>> gateway to process card payments.  You're in Australia, I see, so
>> that option might be closed to you at this time.
>>
>> You will find a list of payment modules, along with setup and usage
>> instructions, on the following page:
>>
>>     http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/downloads/payments.html
>>
>> Modules to support other synchronous payment gateways can be written,
>> and you might even find that someone has written a gateway that works
>> with your chosen service already.
>>
>> You could also look at bureau services, and anyone who will provide
>> you with a web-based payment submission form for manual processing.
>> The comments about card detail security still apply, of course.
>>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your input. I found a snippet by Scott Kennedy a
> couple of years ago. It basically placed a paypal button on
> the receipt page. I never liked the fact that it was one step
> too far. However I just set up a working model which uses our
> "Place Order" button on the checkout page
> - of course there may be details I haven't thought of, I
> guess the cart gets abandoned locally.

Frank, you are not finishing the order in interchange? Typically, people
submit the order into interchange and on the receipt page have a "now pay
securely at paypal" button that takes them to Paypal to finish up the
transaction. I suppose this is not necessary if you are only using Paypal,
as you don't need a central place to view real time, paypal and offline
orders.

A gateway will run about $30/month and then say 3% of transactions. It might
be worth it to just break even for a while, avoid having to manually make
accounts at Paypal for people (which does not seem copasetic to me, by the
way), and invest that now extra time into advertising, etc.

In the end, you might end up being barred from Paypal, and that won't do you
any good.

Paul Jordan