[ic] Gentoo ebuild

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 09:46:54 EST 2006

> > > If you want to do that then go right ahead.  I'm sure that nobody will
> > > object.  I think that someone had a go at that a few years ago, but
> > > it was dropped from Portage due to a lack of maintenance.
> > >
> > > My Gentoo servers have multiple Interchange instances running, so I
> > > won't be using a packaged release; I install using either a released
> > > tar archive, or a tar archive of the latest development CVS version.
> > > Most of my live installations are running 5.5.0 (CVS).
> > >
> > Does the latest IC still use makemaker?
> >
> > http://schwern.org/~schwern/talks/MakeMaker_Is_DOOMED/slides/slide023.html
> >
> It does still use ExUtils::MakeMaker in the Makefile.PL, yes.  That won't
> affect your Gentoo Portage ebuild in any way.

I contacted the author of one of the previous ebuild attempts (5.2) to
find out why it was so difficult and I got this:

It's got a weird interactive build system that is documented poorly
and incorrectly.  You may want to ask the perl folks for advice as it
uses makemaker.

Has the build system changed at all since 5.2?

- Grant