[ic] Meta Tags

Frank Reitzenstein frank at goldissue.com
Mon Oct 30 23:41:43 EST 2006

Jon wrote:

>>>     Frank some may state and/or argue this isn't necessarily appropriate
>>> topic
>>> for an IC technical list but I say it is some what because with out traffic
>>> a site is for not and there are technical approaches that may be unique to
>>> IC.
>>> Now with that probably behind us or at least off my chest :)... on to SE
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>>     My primary site has recently moved from PR 4 to PR 6 and I should be
>>> happy
>>> but my traffic and sales are down. Point on that don't necessarily mix
>>> traffic with PR.
>>>
>>>     If my memory is correct I recall a post you made some time ago relative
>>> to meta
>>> tags (e.g. image alt) and whenever I read something I take at look at my
>>> site to see what I may
>>> have over looked and saw my product image alts were not product specific and
>>> knowing
>>> IC I could and did make the alts product specific and given the time frame
>>> and your
>>> post today I'm wondering if that indeed killed my SE results; perhaps I'm
>>> being penalized
>>> a bit. Thoughts anyone ??  In the case of the young jerk site those pages
>>> with out PR are
>>> simply not in google's cache hence PR 0 which to me implies they have been
>>> dropped or
>>> perhaps google is still cycling through the different server's cache. This
>>> has been happening
>>> recently as I saw my site bounce between PR 4 and 6 and now appears to be
>>> settled at PR6.
>>>
>>>     Are you thinking that excessive alt tags have killed your PR and/or SE
>>> results ? I wouldn't
>>> mind hearing what you've discovered working with a number of sites sooner
>>> rather then
>>> waiting the 2 months for the formal dissertation :)
>>>
>>> Jon

>> Hello Jon,
>>
>> I don't have any thoughts on that. Allow me to clarify what I meant:
>>
>> <title>Allergy Cholesterol Skin Formulas Lip Enhancement Quit</title>
>> Enhancement,Quit Smoking,Bone & Joint Support,Teeth & Gums,Healthy
>> Living,Pet Health,Anti-Aging,Detox,Sleep Aids,Beauty Creams,Digestive
>> Aids,Liver">
>> Enhancement,Quit Smoking,Bone & Joint Support,Teeth & Gums,Healthy
>> Living,Pet Health,Anti-Aging,Detox,Sleep Aids,Beauty Creams,Digestive
>> Aids,Liver Support,Respiratory,Stress Formulas,Urinary Function,Brain
>> Support,Heart Health,PMS/Menopause Support,Sexual Support,Vision
>> Support,Immune Support,Prostate Support,Body Care,Headache">
>>
>> These are created automatically from the search list. This is a
>> sanitized version created by my recent modifications. Previously I was
>> simply dumping the entire list into all 3  tags in the header (title
>> description  & keywords). This was after some research, when I probably
> [...]
John please consider in your decision the evidence that

http://www.theyoungjerk.com/Creatine/

http://www.theyoungjerk.com/Protein/

were the only two pages left with a PR across both www.theyoungjerk.com
and www.fremantlehealthfoods.com

They too had identical keywords, description and title tags,
strengthened by the fact that they mirrored the page content exactly. (
I learnt this technique from a SEO guy years ago - but things have
changed only slightly.)

Incidentally it is a new site which has never previously had a listing.
Note that the reason these two pages were listed by google appears to be
that the list was shorter.

Of course my recent changes posted at
http://www.goldissue.com/search-engine-friendly.html have addressed that
issue by truncating all tags their correct length.

Jon, there is nothing stopping you from randomizing the results of my
three perl functions on this page:

http://www.goldissue.com/images/foundation/toplevel.html

To display every second keyword, sort them alphabetically or use a random function - just to assure that all three look different.

{Repeating Jon, if anyone objects to this discussion, please tell us to buzz off. However as this a technical modification with a proven ability to inpact on site performance please don't! :)}

It's spring down under and the weather is glorious. Hope you guys aren't suffering too much,

Regards,

Frank,
--
http://www.goldissue.com Ecommerce Consulting