[ic] Occasional/random "Connection reset by peer" errors

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Sep 13 16:29:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Daniel Davenport wrote:

>> Is Interchange in PreFork, or fork-on-demand? What is the MaxServers
>> setting?
>
> Appears to be fork-on-demand.  There's only one IC running, unless it's
> serving a request. Hrm.....it's in "low" traffic mode, which at the
> moment sets MaxServers to 5.  I don't know whether i've ever seen it
> busy enough to need 5 copies running...but considering the machine's
> serving 15 catalogs...maybe turning it up isn't too bad an idea.
>
> Another box, which seems to be running great, has MaxServers set to 0.
> As far as i remember, i didn't do that (i've never had a reason to tweak
> those settings, as until now they've always just worked).  I assume that
> unlimits MaxServers -- which, although it works a lot better than the
> current state of things, doesn't seem too safe to me.
>
> Going to look at changing the MaxServers setting, and probably turn on
> PreFork as it sounds like it'd help speed things up a bit.

Personally I wouldn't mess with PreFork yet ... one thing at a time. :)

Try setting MaxServers higher, or to 0. Setting it to 0 can stop some
weird signals problems. It does run the risk of a runaway, but if you
don't have infinite loops in your code somewhere it's unlikely in my
experience.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen