[ic] Inconsistently unable to send with sendmail

airdelights at earthlink.net airdelights at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 14:28:40 EDT 2006

From: "Aaron Berg" <ir.gath at gmail.com>

>I have a catalog with occasionally is unable to send with sendmail.  I
> don't know why this is.
>
> The system is a P4 3GHz (hyperthreading enabled) with 1GB RAM, 60GB+
> free disc space. There is only one catalog running on the server.
> TRAFFIC is set to high.  The site does about 16GB of traffic per
> month.
>
> MTA is sendmail 8.12.1
> Distro is Redhat Enterprise.
> Kernel is 2.4.21
> IC is 5.4
> Perl is 5.8.8 non threaded
>
> Some mails are logged in error.log like:
> ....catalog /cgi-bin/catalog/ord/finalize.html Unable to send mail
> using /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> Some order confirmations that are logged like this did acctually get
> sent, but most do not.  Does IC try to send more than once if there is
> a failure?
>
> The mails that fail to send don't generate anything in either messages
> or maillog, just the 'unable to send' in error.log.
>
> Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction?  There
> are postings in the archive about this, but I couldn't find any with a
> resolution.
>

> Thanks.

I had this same problem for several years and struggled to find a solution.
Ed LeFrance created code for the catalog configuration file that helped
some, but still had missing emailed orders from the website.  I can say that
we have not had a problem for about a year now since we changed over to RPC
mode and that seemed to solve the problem.  You may try this, or ask JT who
follows this list as he helped us to switch modes and bring an end to our
sendmail woes.
Steve at airdelights.com