[ic] Looking for a way to send a follow-up e-mail 7days after shipment

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Apr 18 19:24:33 EDT 2007

"Eric Chamberlain" <eric at voxilla.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to send a follow-up e-mail to customers a
> week or so after their order ships.  The text should be customized based
> on what items were in their order.

I'd just do this with a daily Interchange cron job.

    * Select all orders where the shipping date is < the current date + 7
      days and a new transactions.order_followup column is set to a false
      value.  When each order has been followed-up, set the new column
      to a true value, so that it is not selected and re-processed later.

    * For each selected order, loop through the orderlines to make a
      table, or whatever.  Do this inside an [email] tag, so that the
      results are sent to the user.  You don't need to simply dump the
      order into the email, of course - you could use the information
      to customise the email text in any way you see fit, as you
      suggested.

You could equally do the above using a plain Perl script, called from
cron, but it's always nice to be able to make use of Interchange's
markup language for selecting orders, templating and sending the
emails etc., rather than reinventing the wheel.

Please note that you should have a checkbox on your checkout page, so
that users can opt-into receiving followup emails.  Not all users like
to receive followup emails, or to be auto-added to a marketing mail list
etc.  A large proportion, including myself, may consider such emails
to be spam.

I didn't realise that Voxilla ran Interchange.  I'll have to consider
buying my VoIP kit from you guys in the future. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz