[ic] IC hanging in accept

jeff at downtowndevelopmentplan.com jeff at downtowndevelopmentplan.com
Wed Apr 25 10:22:03 EDT 2007

Hello,

Does anyone else have any thoughts on sketchy behavior of Server.pm's
housekeeping routine?  I've been eyeing it for a while.  Specifically
the part where it iterates the list of active PIDs, killing off ones
that meet the appropriate criteria.  After the parent issues the kill
successfully, it removes the PID from its list.

The problem is that the child might not have responded to the kill, the
parent performs no check to see if the process actually died.  With IC,
I find this is typically because the child is hung in an accept call
(normal behavior).  The situation seems to results in children stuck in
accept that the IC parent thinks it has killed off.

I don't have a any fantastic ideas for a solution.  I believe that
apache hits the children's sockets with some data to knock it out of
accept.  Maybe IC could maintain two lists... the normal list of PIDs
and then the list of PIDs that it thinks it killed last time.  The
second list could be checked during housekeeping runs and killed with
more force if they still existed.

Just some thoughts,
Jeff